About the Hiking and Haiku Blog

A path to poetry...follow my journey to get fit enough to day hike the Grand Canyon and write poetry along the way.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Morro Bay Winter Bird Festival

Follow the Brant geese to the winter estuary of Morro Bay. A fantastic group of volunteers and knowledgeable tour leaders gather every Martin Luther King weekend to show locals and visitors alike all of the birds who call Morro Bay their winter home.

We enjoyed this year's Family Day, especially a puppet show about two great blue herons that nest in the tops of trees to have enough space to spread their six-foot wide wings.

And in a fitness challenge for me, I kayaked by myself in a single kayak since my daughter is now old enough to go with my husband in a double. She did great paddling, and I loved drifting and listening to the wingbeats of cormorants just over my head. My daughter liked to watch grebes take off by running their tiny feet over the waves and flapping for liftoff. We also got to see a sea otter, and I was glad to find them this far south.

And for all those out there who keep a life list (all the bird species spotted by an avid birder), I got to add several, especially after taking the Ducks Galore tour: green-winged teal, blue-winged teal, and a (possible) rufous hummingbird. If anyone knows about how this species relates to the Allen's, I would like to know.

Happy Birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment